In this thread Lord blogs about the French films he has watched recently.
I'm going to start making my way through the classics and some more obscure ones as well. Should be a good way to learn the language.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
I decided to start with something that sounded definitively French - Le Feu Follet (more poetically translates to the glimpse of light or will o'the wisp but it is known as The Fire Within): a writer, who has recently undergone a detox to treat his alcoholism, spends a day catching up with people from his past in order to find a reason not to commit suicide. Pretty fucking bleak.

Bonus: have also started listening to some French music. La Femme: Mystere is pretty good, sort of dark wave, krautrock, surf rock, all mixed into one.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
i esteem the general canon of french film very highly, but i find that among my favorite individual films, france seems sort of underrepresented.
You should watch Le Feu Follet and Marguerite De La Nuit and report back.