PD's Official FILM CLUB thread
Basically someone picks a film to watch (preferably not too mainstream, one that we can discover together) and then we have a week to watch it and discuss it - then it's someone else's turn to pick a new one and so on and so on. Could be pretty cool. I'd probably kick things off with a low-budget horror film.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
sure
i'd do it
Nice, I'll make a post tomorrow or the next day about whichever film I end up choosing. Then we'll have a week from that point onwards to watch it and post our thoughts. I think everyone should try and put an effort in to watch it just to get this project rolling with some critical mass.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
Alright, I can't make up my mind so I'll give you guys a choice:

Option One:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria#/...aItaly.jpg

Suspiria (pronounced [sʊsˈpɪ.ri.a], lit. Latin: "sighs") is a 1977 Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento, co-written by Argento and Daria Nicolodi, partially based on Thomas De Quincey's 1845 essay Suspiria de Profundis (Sighs from the Depths) and co-produced by Claudio and Salvatore Argento.

Option Two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_(2...poster.jpg

Paprika (Japanese: パプリカ Hepburn: Papurika) is a 2006 Japanese science-fiction anime film co-written and directed by Satoshi Kon, based on Yasutaka Tsutsui's 1993 novel of the same name, about a research psychologist who uses a device that permits therapists to help patients by entering their dreams.
Someday I will figure out how to properly display images via BBCode.
Satoshi Kon's movies are fantastic
I might have to go more obscure, it's no fun if people have already watched them.
i'd vote for the italian one
(03-07-2018, 09:35 PM)pichubro Wrote: Satoshi Kon's movies are fantastic

But yeah, the descriptions sound great. It's sad that he never got to finish Dream Machine. I watched some of Paranoia Agent before.
(03-07-2018, 09:52 PM)tim Wrote: i'd vote for the italian one

Okay, cool. We'll just wait for Ascaris, Pichubro and Khaos to chime in with their opinions. As the person who picked the originals I feel I should be exempt from voting.
Edit: I guess Pichubro will sign up for the Italian film too as she's probably already watched Paprika.
im cool with the italian one
I'll watch whatever it doesn't matter. So the Italian one is cool with me.
Just one simple step, give Khaos all your rep!
Unreal. In that case you all have one week from this post date to watch the film and report back your thoughts on it. Ascaris as you were the first responder to this thread you shall be picking film number two which you should reveal today next week.
two notable films I watched this year

Neruda- its a film about a Chilean communist in the late 40s, and him trying to escape the country while a dictator takes power and is hunting him down. Its a really brilliant film that I think only falls apart at the end when they start to get meta about what character archetypes they are in the story.

Bonus points: the actual best version of an ancap I have ever seen, the dude supports communists because they mess with the goverment lol

Reds: its a film following the life of a prominent IWW member in the 1910s as he goes from a poet / union reporter, to someone who gets swept up in the Russian revolution

bonus points: the dude literally seduces a woman with communism lol

god how do you feel about polluting so many young american minds into becoming filthy godless commies
but for real though communism is pretty dumb, i love capitalism
(03-08-2018, 07:19 AM)Kirby Wrote: two notable films I watched this year

Neruda- its a film about a Chilean communist in the late 40s, and him trying to escape the country while a dictator takes power and is hunting him down. Its a really brilliant film that I think only falls apart at the end when they start to get meta about what character archetypes they are in the story.

watch il postino

(03-08-2018, 11:32 PM)Ascaris Wrote: god how do you feel about polluting so many young american minds into becoming filthy godless commies

Yeah, not gonna lie, it's pretty weird to have an economics degree and be surrounded by communists.
im always surprised when you say you have an economics degree, because youve never once posted about economics
inb4 Ascaris chooses the Wolf of Wall Street as Film Club pick §2.
nah im still undecided between shrek the third and paul blart: mall cop 2
(03-08-2018, 11:37 PM)Ascaris Wrote: im always surprised when you say you have an economics degree, because youve never once posted about economics

Somehow got a first class honours in it as well haha. None of the material ever made for decent posting though. A lot of it (healthcare economics, public administration economics) was specific to my country. It was good for political analysis.