Lord's goal of establishing himself as a popular writer.
Alright HBI, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm going to write either a novel or a novella and then submit it to UK/Irish/International writing competitions either in the hopes of winning or networking within the industry. I aim to write somewhere between 35000 and 80000 words within the next two months. This will be the rough draft. The following two months will be for editing. The finished product should be read sometime just before April. Then I will launch a relentless torrent of submissions until I acquire even a microscopic level of success.

The problem is, I can't think of a marketable yet controversial idea. So I'm handing it over to you HBI. With your agglomerated contributions, I'm going to write my breakout novel. I am willing to take any and all suggestions. Right now I am playing around with a segment of the story being told within a North Korean concentration camp, and another dealing with the declining rate of coffee bean crops in Mozambique due to global warming and how this is affecting not just the denizens of the village but also increasing the global cost of the coffee industry. Anything you can think of, throw it in. Writing for me has always been an alchemy.

I cannot stress how seriously this project is going to be taken and how fastidiously my writing schedule will be attended to.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
I want it to be the template of a typical Shakespearean tragedy - someone gets built up and then knocked back down, in epic proportions - but I want it to focus on something ridiculous, like the unprecedented rise of a local coffee shop, run by two foreign people who move to the town one day, and as it expands, more and more shady business people come and visit them and add things to the business, in a presumably sinister and illegal manner. Each visit offers a new philosophical topic, like morality or death etc. And there must be no resolution at the end, it should be really French like that. And there has to be a token comic relief character who doesn't understand what's going on most of the time.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
write about a guy with internet addiction, who at intervals keeps trying to break it, but always relapses, and this lasts throughout his entire life. paint the internet of his childhood, adolescent and young adulthood as it actually existed in reality, and then into his adulthood switch into writing about the future where you describe the internet of the future speculatively.
An Internet cafe :o
idea: 'high-brow' sitcom about friends who own now-obsolete businesses -- internet cafe, photo development, video rental store -- as they are all beginning to become clearly obsolete.
one friend owns a small independent book store but his/her parents are wealthy and he/she doesn't need to do anything for money, so although that business model too is failing he/she doesn't care, which serves as a source of friction and comedy throughout the show.
another sitcom idea I have had: have a show where you have a tranny, a terf (transgender exclusionary rad fem), and a 'the-redpiller' (terp) all living in the same apartment and the show it about the various shenanigans they get up to and with them all hating each other mutually at all times

call it : Triple-T

Update: got a short story accepted and due to be published in a Irish literary journal.
did you end up using any of our ideas lol

Absolutely not. In that thread thread I made where I said lets post our short story ideas, the two I posted I made up on the spot while I was writing the thread. I really just wanted to see if God was writing anything at the moment haha
(01-31-2018, 07:19 PM)Lord Wrote: God

(01-31-2018, 07:19 PM)Lord Wrote: writing anything

lol good one lord
god is the grrm of pokemon forum biographies
(01-30-2018, 09:49 PM)Lord Wrote: Update: got a short story accepted and due to be published in a Irish literary journal.

Also, everyone who has been published before in this literary journal appear to be quite accomplished i.e. successful novelists and short stories writers who have been shortlisted for or won major Irish / UK awards. From examining their biographies I appear to be one of the youngest and less qualified to be published by them since at least 2015. Watch this space.
(01-31-2018, 10:02 PM)Ascaris Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 07:19 PM)Lord Wrote: God

(01-31-2018, 07:19 PM)Lord Wrote: writing anything

lol good one lord

(01-31-2018, 10:02 PM)Ascaris Wrote: god is the grrm of pokemon forum biographies

Enjoyable posts.
(01-31-2018, 10:26 PM)Lord Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 09:49 PM)Lord Wrote: Update: got a short story accepted and due to be published in a Irish literary journal.

Also, everyone who has been published before in this literary journal appear to be quite accomplished i.e. successful novelists and short stories writers who have been shortlisted for or won major Irish / UK awards. From examining their biographies I appear to be one of the youngest and less qualified to be published by them since at least 2015. Watch this space.

anyone

please validate me
whens it coming out
post it ya dick
Late March. I can't post it because I signed the first serial rights to it away. You'll just have to wait.
lord post your dick

he cant, he signed the rights away
(02-02-2018, 02:40 AM)Lord Wrote: Late March. I can't post it because I signed the first serial rights to it away. You'll just have to wait.

Okay, it's out now if people want to PM me so I can send them the link because I don't want to post it here for obvious reasons, this more than likely being the apex of my literary career.
bump
popularity is but the shadow of a wind
Man is a shadow's dream
3deep5me