kerbal space program
this game is so fucking DOPE, ive been putting an embarrassing amount of time into it

I'm not smart enough to play this game effectively. I downloaded the demo and made it to free orbit but that's about the extent of my skills.
Get to low earth orbit and you're halfway to anywhere in the solar system.
- Robert A. Heinlein
But yeah the game doesnt do a lot of hand holding, which imo is what makes your accomplishments that much more rewarding. I just barely finished a flyby to their version of Mars with a minuscule amount of fuel left and am now struggling to get a rover to the moon because I keep losing connection to my shitty satellite network.
(10-24-2017, 11:21 AM)Ascaris Wrote: Get to low earth orbit and you're halfway to anywhere in the solar system.
- Robert A. Heinlein

[Image: SqdzxzF.png]

equivalent ksp map

[Image: 1200px-KerbinDeltaVMap.png]
but if your point was that the quote is incorrect then you dont really understand that chart or orbital mechanics and you should play some kerbal space program!!
Lemme elaborate: that chart isn't an indicator of the route to locations. It's constructed like a subway map for aesthetics, not because you actually need to get to Mars before you go to Jupiter, etc.

It really tracks delta-v, which how far you can travel with the resources you have (payload, fuel, engine thrust/efficiency). No matter where you're going, whether that's the Moon or Neptune, you can get there directly with a single burn from low Earth orbit (provided you have enough delta-v). It's not the most efficient way to do it which is why real probes that travel the outer solar system use gravity assists from large planets like Jupiter, but it can be done.
honestly, I am more amused that it is nearly as easy to get out of the solar system, than it is to crash into the sun

really makes you realize why the whole "throw nuclear waste into the sun" bit is a really bad idea, even mechanically

its actually waaaay easier to get out of the solar system. delta v requirements aside, getting to the sun has a very small margin of error.
Of course it's easier to exit the solar system than hitting the sun, the sun is a direct object to aim at using math and shit
To exit you just need to aim at the sun and miss
but its a lot easier to hit, for instance, pluto than the sun, which seems counter intuitive because the sun is far bigger, far closer, and is constantly pulling you towards it
(10-25-2017, 07:53 AM)pichubro Wrote: To exit you just need to aim at the sun and miss

nah youll probably just end up becoming a comet
(10-25-2017, 07:53 AM)pichubro Wrote: To exit you just need to aim at the sun and miss

the problem is that you yourself are moving, so in order to actually go to the sun, you need to go in the OPPOSITE direction of Earh's revolution, canceling out all of your momentum, and go in the complete opposite direction.

That sounds like an easy miss to make
its not pichubro

If it's hard to hit the sun than it's easy to miss. Tongue
oh i misread what you said

but still no, if you dont miss it by enough youll just end up in a highly elliptical orbit i.e. a comet
the infinite miss