Feminism
A couple years ago, you guys told me feminism has no place in the West, that equity of genders had more-or-less been reached, and that rape culture does not exist. Given recent happenings, do you still maintain this position?
Cool
i don't know if anyone said feminism has "no place in the west." maybe someone did. women as a group have particular interests and concerns and there's nothing wrong with them acknowledging that as a group.

i do think that women are not broadly disadvantaged compared to men and that the idea of "rape culture" is basically nonsensical, yes.
So now the obligatory "how is the while 'grab them by the pussy' thing not rape culture?" question
Cool
Feminism is ok, not technically true, but ok

Elaborate
Cool
(01-29-2017, 10:54 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: So now the obligatory "how is the while 'grab them by the pussy' thing not rape culture?" question

i'm not sure what sense this question has. the tape was roundly condemned and was the only thing trump ever actually apologized over and tried to walk back from. many thought it would destroy his candidacy, reasonably enough, other than the fact that he was up against one of the worst campaigns and candidates of all time.

how would you define "rape culture"?
I'm using the first sentence of the Wikipedia article: "Rape culture is a sociological concept used to describe a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality." Note that it says "setting", and not an entire goddamn country. Of course I'm not saying it entire culture enjoys rape, I'm saying the environment that Trump was in at the time, a power structure of the entertainment industry, led to him being confident in making his statements, because sexual assault/harassment was normalized within the industry.

Another great example that might make this concept easier to understand is the Brock Turner rape case. When this kid was sentenced, he was let off easy, because his small town was willing to overlook sexual assault because of his athletic skills. This is a common trend throughout small town North America, wherein sexual assault is normalized or downplayed. When the verdict got to the national stage, there was outrage of course. That did not mean rape culture was not a meaningful factor in the outcome of the case, and that it does not continue to affect the lives of millions everyday.

Does that make sense?
Cool
I take back the Brock Turner thing, I did a bit of reading and it seems to not be a very good example, and did not take place in a small town. Also, small towns are not inherently rapey.
Cool
(01-30-2017, 11:57 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: Elaborate

I don't believe in Patriarchal theory, society has been shitty to both sexes, and I don't think it is fair to make some kind of balancing game to play "who is the more oppressed sex" thing.

I mean really, true feminism is fighting for anti-discrimination of everybody, not just women.
no feminist theory actually is the belief in the patriarchy, come on pichubro

(02-01-2017, 02:19 AM)pichubro Wrote: I mean really, true feminism is fighting for anti-discrimination of everybody, not just women.

why call it feminism then? if its anti-discrimination of everyone, why not just go back to equality, and the equal rights movement, and just do it right this time?
Just one simple step, give Khaos all your rep!
(02-01-2017, 01:40 PM)Kirby Wrote: no feminist theory actually is the belief in the patriarchy, come on pichubro
There are those who call themselves "feminists" who do
(02-02-2017, 03:10 AM)pichubro Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 01:40 PM)Kirby Wrote: no feminist theory actually is the belief in the patriarchy, come on pichubro
There are those who call themselves "feminists" who do

who do what?

(01-31-2017, 02:26 PM)Kirby Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 11:57 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: Elaborate

I don't believe in Patriarchal theory, society has been shitty to both sexes, and I don't think it is fair to make some kind of balancing game to play "who is the more oppressed sex" thing.

...Feminism espouses the view that patriarchy is detrimental to men and women. The deconstruction of gender roles of both sexes is central to critical feminist theory.

Why do we call it "feminism" then? In part, it's because the public and private spheres is dominated by masculine values, and so a reversal of these values would necessarily require a "feminization", regardless of which sex is benefitting. A good example of this is Feminist Ethics (I'm on mobile, but look up the Wikipedia article). Feminist Ethics isn't just a "patriarchy's bad to" thing, it's an entire set of critical theory that emphasizes a focus on community action and social networks, empathy and compassion, and the context of power dynamics. These are all "feminine" values rooted in feminist theories, but Feminist Ethics would clearly benefit both sexes.

Does that make sense Khaos?
Cool
Modern feminism is a cancer of the highest order.... A misguided cult that's members devour each other if they can't find someone else to agonize over in a timely fashion.
Happy International Women's Day
Cool
This is the worst thread i can recall, and Solly wasnt the reason at all.
Rape culture absolutely exists. The moment people ask if the girl was drunk, or what she was wearing, that's rape culture. That's mitigating the blame from her attacker

Stealthing, is common, is rape culture and is essentially rape. Men thinking that women owe them their bodies in exchange for a few drinks is rape culture. Men who float around bars looking for drunk women is rape culture.

This isn't hard guys.
king im not sure how much sense can be made of any of that post. with similar logic you can say that we have "*any crime* culture". rape isn't normalized and condoned in society, 'rape culture' is just jargon basically useless to understanding anything. what do you mean by "stealthing".
(05-11-2017, 01:00 AM)God Wrote: king im not sure how much sense can be made of any of that post. with similar logic you can say that we have "*any crime* culture". rape isn't normalized and condoned in society, 'rape culture' is just jargon basically useless to understanding anything. what do you mean by "stealthing".

Stealthing is where you agree to wear a condom but take it off or dont wear it without informing the woman. In other words, you void the consent.

When a man gets stabbed, we dont ask if he was wearing a shirt that would evoke anger do we?
I think I might be a Marxist-Feminist now :V

Rape culture exists, it's called "it's never the man's fault"

They will call us overly paranoid and sexist (for assuming all men are violent) when we don't take them home for our own safety, claiming "not all men". Then when a woman gets assaulted they blame her for being stupid and naive and letting him get close. They don't blame HIM for assaulting her in the first place. Cognitive dissonance of the highest degree.

They tell woman to dress modestly to "avoid" rape, but then they claim that burkas are inhumane. If you're opening thesis is that women need to change their behavior to adjust to uncontrollable urges of men, maybe the men need to learn some empathy for a change.

And then you have the guys who blame feminism for causing problems. They have the gall to complain about the double edged sword of the patriarchy while still holding the blade. They cry over not having the bias in custody rights or that women aren't drafted as though it is womens' fault. You mean the very same patriarchy that decided that women wouldn't make good soldiers and be better parents? It's not the women to blame for that.

For the record "not all men" is the dumbest counter-argument. Everyone already knows that not all men are like that. But ENOUGH men are assaulting women, ENOUGH men are raping women, ENOUGH men are voting against women's rights where it's a societal problem and not just a personal one. At what point do we stop blaming the victims and work to stop it at the aggressors?
That was really well written satire, pichubro. Nearly had me going for a second.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
It wasn't satire