Technology and the Future
How do you think tech. will change future generations? 

Specifically 20 years from now, what do you think will change for children born today in comparison to us as we are now?

~And other faggotry~
I actually think very little will happen, I fear we are reaching a scientific block, there is a point where we just can't discover things anymore

(09-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Kirby Wrote: I actually think very little will happen, I fear we are reaching a scientific block, there is a point where we just can't discover things anymore

I believe the exact opposite. Predictions of the technical singularity being reached are getting shorter and shorter every year. First it was gonna be in the end of this century, now they reckon it'll be somewhere between 2030 and 2045. IA will be massive, technological automation in the labour force will be massive, medicine (nanotechnology, antibiotic races, prosthetics, developments in neuroscience) will be massive, quantum computing (will hopefully) be massive, virtual reality will be massive. Our lives are going to become more and more entwined with technology as the century goes on.

I love futurism.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
ye i think new babus will be come augmented cyborgs and older people will be upset about it like normal then it'll keep pushing foward
it will be worse
We are sll cyborgs slresdy. Our glasses, phones, clothes are all artificial extensions of ourselves, upon which we are entirely dependent. Augmentation is inevitable.
Cool
I'm mildly worried about the continued automation of the labor force. If it all happened at once it probably wouldn't be that much of an issue, but the slow transition it is going to have could case huge problems. We already have huge amounts of wealth concentrated among a small group of people, and automation will do nothing but exacerbate that trend. Slowly more and more people will be replaced by robots, and be unable to find any other work, because the value of human labor will be drastically diminished. That means the economy will slowly crumble because less money is going to be spent, which will cause businesses to further prioritize automation to cut costs. There are already many signs that this process is happening right now. The good news it is a pretty avoidable problem. Just people need to be convinced that it is real, and that they should do something about it (sounds like global warming, although the ship for preventing damage for that has pretty much sailed at this point).
Global warming is going to exacerbate a lot of stuff; a lot more, I think, than the average person expects. Bernie wasn't entirely off the ball when he said global warming is responsible for the increase in terrorism. Terrorism has many causes, but right now it has a hotbed in areas that are becoming increasingly desertified. Global warming is going to mess a lot of things up, it will be the first extinction event humans get through - and we're the ones who caused it. Talk about an existential crisis. Entire cities will be either under levees or abandoned, and fresh water will become more and more precious a commodity. The oceans will warm up and acidify, killing an important food source to billions of people. The amount of refugees fleeing the global south will only increase as time goes on, unless we make some very important technological innovations fast.

Right now the world has a higher percentage of urban population than ever, we passed the 50% mark in 2010. This is especially true in OECD countries - Europe, North America, Australia, where the numbers approach 80-85%. The world is more cosmopolitan than ever before, with cultural borders receding further and further, and global interdependence that makes World War III seem absurd. We have access to the entirety of human material culture in our back pockets, and have become more tolerant. Our technological progress continues at an exponential rate, and we have become entirely interconnected as a result.

On the other hand, globalization and free trade agreements have created a global economy wherein any work can be shipped anywhere, saturating every non-service market and creating tension between various national and corporate interests. This has become an increasingly pressing issue as OECD countries enter post-service economies and require generational social reform. Unfortunately, domestic politics in many countries has become polarized and divisive because of disagreement over adaptation into this new, interconnected world. The long-term effects of neoliberalism and Raeganomics are starting to be realized as national wealth disparity continues to increase. The everlasting legacies of Colonialism and the Cold War continue to haunt the world, giving rise to identity politics and an impotent United Nations. In spite of interconnecting everyone, the internet has enabled extremist groups and ideologies to have a broader membership than ever before, balkanizing fringe groups into increasingly volatile subcultures. The aging population of many countries is proving to be a strain on once robust medical and social security systems, and the large voting bloc has shifted political focus away from issues of successive generations.

How will the world adapt to these changes? Probably slowly and begrudgingly, like it always has. The realities of our past mistakes and the unpredictability of circumstance means that things will never be great. Humans are excellent at destroying equilibriums.

But I think, on the whole, things are starting to get better. People are getting smarter, and global war and crime is on the downturn. In spite of perceived trends otherwise due to media saturation, we really have stopped killing each other as much, and we are more tolerant and accepting than ever before. More commodities are becoming much cheaper and much less wasteful, and more people have access to proper medical care than ever before. More people are getting better education and have access to more information. More food is more available than ever before, and even better food is being designed every day. Global warming will be a test on all of this, but it it will be the first test we truly all face united against.

Hopefully.
Cool
That comment turned out to be a lot longer than I originally intended
Cool
(09-06-2016, 11:14 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: We are sll cyborgs slresdy. Our glasses, phones, clothes are all artificial extensions of ourselves, upon which we are entirely dependent. Augmentation is inevitable.

yes i got solly's support

(09-07-2016, 05:03 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: That comment turned out to be a lot longer than I originally intended

thats why i didnt read it
I want like robot arms and stuff, so I can lose an arm and have a super cool robot arm
Just one simple step, give Khaos all your rep!
That would come in handy
Cool