Turkey is undergoing a coup as of this moment
Shocked 
History is happening holy shit, the middle east is going nuts.

All that's needed to Saudi Arabia to fall down now.

this is not going to end well
What the HECK is going on? It's a military coup, don't these guys know military coups seldom end well
(07-15-2016, 08:43 PM)Ascaris Wrote: this is not going to end well

give us your middle eastern perspective on this

Damn, boys.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
We need the brown perspective on these things
Erdogan had made a lot of enemies, I'm not surprised
Cool
(07-15-2016, 08:58 PM)Celery Wrote: We need the brown perspective on these things

This could be great, Erdogan is a lunatic with IS sympathies who's been trying to make Turkey more Islamic, and has allowed the flow of refugees from the Middle East to the rest of Europe. The military is mostly secular, pro-EU and Europe. If they usurped Erdogan it would actually be great, Turkey would probably become way more stable. The major problem is the possible outbreak of a civil war. We saw what happened in Syria. Think of the possible people inflow if the country were to fall apart, people with certain leanings travelling to the wrong places. Not to mention the bloodshed.

The next few hours will be incredibly important. This could be the biggest political event in recent years.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
he asked for BROWN perspectives lord. as an irishman youre the whitest person on the forums.
I figured a pro-European stance was needed for balancing.
This honestly seems like a benevolent coup, like Egypt's, if you can call a coup benevolent. There's no way the military plans on retaining a long-term regime while remaining a NATO member, and they're definitely not going to risk leaving NATO.
Cool
Traditionally speaking, Turkey's military keeps the government in check. They're doing this to re-implement true democracy, basically.
But the question is, will NATO allow it?
I don't see why not. It is general knowledge now that Erdogan is batshit crazy.
Cool
This could be karma for the time when a Turkish group hacked our forums Angry
Hasn't Turkey done this many times? This isn't the first time that one branch of their government is keeping another in check.

I did just hear about explosions though, so I'm not sure what the hell that could have to do with an apparent peaceful coup.
-.---.----..
Also, Erdogan is telling his people to go out into the streets. Is he actually trying to cause conflict and violence in this situation? Is he actively asking for this to escalate more?
-.---.----..
Erdogan is insane, he's not going down without a fight
Cool
Sounds like the kind of guy who shouldn't be in charge, but idk anything
(07-15-2016, 10:18 PM)Nanaki Wrote: Also, Erdogan is telling his people to go out into the streets. Is he actually trying to cause conflict and violence in this situation? Is he actively asking for this to escalate more?

Think the idea is the more civilians on the streets, the less police and military will be inclined to attack each other for fear of collateral damage.
Erdogen giving a press conference via iPhone Skype video is by far the most brilliant thing I've seen today.
The TAF reports a successful coup
Cool
Meanwhile Erdogan's media says the coup has failed, and Erdogan's plane has just landed in Istanbul. It's happening, lads.
It's becoming bloody. Looks like this won't be a clean one.
Cool
https://www.facebook.com/muslu.apo.5/vid...027074835/ NSFL

Sickening
Cool