The Death Penalty
Do you think it has a place in Western justice systems? I lean on a hard no, but what do you guys think?
Cool
I'm gonna have to agree. Just the fact that the justice system is not perfect and some innocent people are guaranteed to be killed, is enough of a reason to ban it. My other big problem with it is it does nothing for rehabilitation of criminals or discouragement of crimes. Like emotionally I understand why a victim (or their loved ones) would wish death on an attacker, but I don't think it is the society's place to fulfill their revenge fantasy. Although there are a lot of problems with our justice system. Mainly that the general mindset is not to prepare criminals to reenter society as a productive citizen, but more to 'punish' them for what they 'deserve'.
I think it can be justified from a philosophical perspective.

When I look at this issue, I recall the issue from Determinism that if a person committed a crime, and the reason for that crime was determined by forces which shaped them earlier on, then how can we justify punishing people and putting them in jail? How can they be blamed for the crime?

One Compatibility answer this this question is that the purpose of punishment is to hold the person up as an example, to deter future people from committing the crime.

So, if the Death Penalty was an effective deterrent to extreme crimes, then I could see it's use being justified.

But that's the thing, there isn't really any evidence of it being an effective deterrent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...criminals/
And with the problems with possibly killing an innocent person, I don't see why we still have this. Rehabilitation and removing dangerous people from society should be the goal of prison.
Pretty much all of the arguments against the death penalty brought up so far in this topic I agree with, but I feel kind of callous in saying that another reason why I'd be against the death penalty is because it feels like the easy way out. I feel like some criminals would rather be dead than rot in prison for the rest of their lives when they should be (and of course rehabilitated if and as much as possible)
I agree with it on paper. Some people just can't be rehabilitated and their crimes are too great. We shouldn't keep them alive at cost to society when they'll always be a danger. The problem is, we've killed innocent people before. The death penalty does not work in practice. So on a whole, in a real world scenario, I am against the death penalty.
death penalty only for CLASS ENEMIES
(07-19-2016, 12:48 AM)King Wrote: I agree with it on paper. Some people just can't be rehabilitated and their crimes are too great. We shouldn't keep them alive at cost to society when they'll always be a danger. The problem is, we've killed innocent people before. The death penalty does not work in practice. So on a whole, in a real world scenario, I am against the death penalty.

But that's the other thing about the death penalty; It actually costs more in practice to kill them, than it does to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. Just because they get tons of appeals so we can make for certain that they did it. And even then sometimes it still fails and we kill an innocent person.
This is interesting. Everyone is offering utilitarian reasons for the opposition. I disagree with the death penalty on principle, I don't think any state should have the right of life or death over its citizens.
Cool
Well I am against it in principle too. I just find it easier to defend my position with more concrete reasons, rather than philosophical ones.
I'd be down for it. Death isn't THAT bad, there are far worse things. I think the main contributing factor is the cost, for me. If it was cheaper to just off with their head, I'd recommend it.

~And other faggotry~
Many have suggested the return of the guillotine, since it is quite cheap and effective. Is this a better alternative to lethal injection?
I think if they brought back the guillotine people would lose their minds
Cool
(07-20-2016, 03:13 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: I think if they brought back the guillotine people would lose their minds

And presumably their heads
thatwasthejoke
Cool
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, it's morally reprehensible to decide somebody's fate.

On the other hand, there are mentally ill/unstable individuals that modern medicine/therapy cannot possibly help, and the government is paying to keep them locked up.

From a nihilistic view, it makes perfect sense, and it's a great idea to keep it around. But from a moral point of view, it's inhumane.

Personally, I lean a little more towards morality on this topic. I don't support it, but I'm not exactly pushing the idea to have it banned everywhere.
Discount Jontron
[Image: tumblr_nqtezkD8jj1uukuceo9_400.png]