Black Lives Matter
Quote:No, but I think calling them entitled when they have a pretty clear and legitimate cause isn't very helpful.
Quote:I do not share that opinion
Tex Wrote:any real defenses

I'm not sure how this is a substantial defense of BLM's movement. Could you please expand?

The shooting is also not a reflection of BLM's actions.
Discount Jontron
(07-07-2016, 06:52 PM)Tex Wrote: The shooting is also not a reflection of BLM's actions.

[Image: qni0caW.jpg]
Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]

The shooting... Is not a reflection... Of BLM's Actions...

That is to say, the shooting does not defend everything BLM has done. Just because their initial cause still holds necessity, ergo police brutality, that does not mean it automatically excuses everything that BLM does. It does not give them the right to riot, hold up public events, or assault/threaten anyone.
Discount Jontron
So... BLM is entitled? Not entitled? Should exist? Shoildn't exist? I don't understand what you're agruing for anymore, Tex
Cool
(07-07-2016, 07:03 PM)Tex Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

That is to say, the shooting does not defend everything BLM has done. Just because their initial cause still holds necessity,  ergo police brutality, that does not mean it automatically excuses everything that BLM does. It does not give them the right to riot, hold up public events, or assault/threaten anyone.

Look man, I more or less agree with this, but this is not what you were arguing at the start of the thread. Or, if you were, I think you need better words.
Cool
The actions of some BLM supporters is entitled, more specifically their actions at Pride and the Orlando vigil. They started off with a righteous goal to spread awareness of police brutality, but quickly turned into a hate group where the actions of the terrible members vastly outweigh the peaceful actions of the rest. By and large, I don't think it was a bad movement to begin with, but now, I think it's harmful, and should disappear.

On a side note, the current rates of police brutality show that white victims are double that of black victims when it comes to lethal shootings, but when you take into account population, then black individuals are twice as likely to be shot by police. Do with that info as you will, I'm not sure what to think about it.
Discount Jontron
Tex, we need to talk about your use of hyperbole
Cool
(07-07-2016, 07:12 PM)Slam Ander Wrote:

That is to say, the shooting does not defend everything BLM has done. Just because their initial cause still holds necessity,  ergo police brutality, that does not mean it automatically excuses everything that BLM does. It does not give them the right to riot, hold up public events, or assault/threaten anyone.

Look man, I more or less agree with this,  but this is not what you were arguing at the start of the thread. Or, if you were, I think you need better words.

I think it has to do with the fact that I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with. I am by no means excusing the disgusting behavior of law enforcement in Ferguson or any other parts of America.
Discount Jontron
(07-07-2016, 07:14 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: Tex, we need to talk about your use of hyperbole

I'm not so sure about that. I do tend to exaggerate from time to time, though.
Discount Jontron
(07-07-2016, 07:15 PM)Tex Wrote:

Look man, I more or less agree with this,  but this is not what you were arguing at the start of the thread. Or, if you were, I think you need better words.

I think it has to do with the fact that I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with.

[Image: TnQRX6v.gif]
Cool
(07-07-2016, 07:17 PM)Slam Ander Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 07:15 PM)Tex Wrote:

I think it has to do with the fact that I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with.

[Image: TnQRX6v.gif]

I believe that it is no longer a righteous movement, and mentioning that they had started off on the right foot is missing the point of my stance just a lil' bit. I don't think it strengthens, or weakens my argument, so I didn't really see much of a need to put it out there.

Besides that, I was looking for opposing thoughts, so t I figured taking an aggressive stance on the matter would encourage people who oppose my view to step forward and speak, not scare them off. I think it's healthy for debate and discussion in general.

I talk a lot of shit about the two-party system sometimes, but the conflict of interests between the right and left wing does create a lot of necessary dialogue that wouldn't be as common if there was only one party running everything. Conflict of interests is important.
Discount Jontron
Idk, I'd like to join in this discussion but I don't think I can process the facts well enough. For one, it's beneficial for me to leave the hierarchy as is so there's a conflict of interest. Socially, there's a pressure to understand the opposing side for the sake of being tolerant but it almost feels like it's for seeming acceptably unracism to your peers rather than to actually help anyone get equal treatment and that just seems like bullshit to me.

It's hard to care about a subject when the main group trying to promote it is fucking up.

~And other faggotry~
http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-dal...d=40422456

Oh shit
Cool
(07-07-2016, 07:35 PM)Tex Wrote: I believe that it is no longer a righteous movement

Tex Wrote:I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with.

I don't think you ever believed in it's legitimacy.
(07-08-2016, 06:19 AM)King Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 07:35 PM)Tex Wrote: I believe that it is no longer a righteous movement

Tex Wrote:I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with.

I don't think you ever believed in it's legitimacy.

Believe what you want, man.

(07-08-2016, 03:57 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-dal...d=40422456

Oh shit

Looks like they didn't listen to Alton's mother. Filthy fucking criminals. So disrespectfully evil.
Discount Jontron
Well, I'm only directly quoting you.
You know what, I wasn't gonna entertain this properly after the fucking mess that was the gun control thread but this has actually kind of pissed me off.

You've literally turned a tragedy not 24 hours old into a BLM issue with little context whilst using some incredibly dehumanisng language, whilst also telling me to "think what I want" right after you outright said you refused to accept BLM's legitimacy from the get go.

This is bullshit on so many levels

- Bringing Dallas into it as a BLM issue. Incredible how you didn't feel the need to mention the two murders that started all of this, especially in the case of Castile who was a legal gun owner and who outright made the police aware of his status as such and that he was indeed carrying his legal firearm as a legal gun owner should. So what happens? A white cop shoots him 4 times infront of a kid. And you're fucking silent about it, despite the direct relevance to both your stance on legal gun ownership and the relevance to the mass outcry we've seen leading up to Dallas.

It was worth blaming the actions of people who had nothing to do with the legitimate protest on BLM and referring to BLM as "animals" by extension, but the murder of a citizen in cold blood by the police because he was black didn't even warrant a mention in your post?
In Tex's defense, Solly posted about the shooting and linked it to BLM first. As to why, I have no clue.
Yes but he didn't refer to BLM as evil animals whilst ignoring all context of what led to this
I mean why fucking start a debate topic if your stance is "I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with." ? What's there to debate then? Tex lives in his bubble about how a movement that stemmed from an unacceptable level of police brutality is pure evil and that's fine, but don't open it to debate if your views are that set.
Absolute carnage in this thread in more ways than one.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
(07-08-2016, 02:43 PM)Lord Wrote: Absolute carnage in this thread in more ways than one.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(07-08-2016, 02:14 PM)King Wrote: You know what, I wasn't gonna entertain this properly after the fucking mess that was the gun control thread but this has actually kind of pissed me off.

You've literally turned a tragedy not 24 hours old into a BLM issue with little context whilst using some incredibly dehumanisng language, whilst also telling me to "think what I want" right after you outright said you refused to accept BLM's legitimacy from the get go.

This is bullshit on so many levels

- Bringing Dallas into it as a BLM issue. Incredible how you didn't feel the need to mention the two murders that started all of this, especially in the case of Castile who was a legal gun owner and who outright made the police aware of his status as such and that he was indeed carrying his legal firearm as a legal gun owner should. So what happens? A white cop shoots him 4 times infront of a kid. And you're fucking silent about it, despite the direct relevance to both your stance on legal gun ownership and the relevance to the mass outcry we've seen leading up to Dallas.

It was worth blaming the actions of people who had nothing to do with the legitimate protest on BLM and referring to BLM as "animals" by extension, but the murder of a citizen in cold blood by the police because he was black didn't even warrant a mention in your post?

'Believe what you want' was to imply that you misunderstood. Poor choice of words, that's my bad. To explain: To begin with is not referring to the my stance when starting this thread, it's referring to the events that sparked BLM as a movement two years ago. I didn't acknowledge it, because I no longer believe they are a legitimate movement with a clear cause. I do not think BLM is as it was in 2014.

Past that, I wasn't trying to relate the shooters in Dallas to BLM at all, I was calling them filthy fucking animals, regardless of their affiliation. Though considering my comment on Alton's mother, I can see how that could get mixed up.

The shooter(s) could've been white, black, BLM, a Nazi, Idfc, they were disgusting, inhuman fucking pigs. I'm not blaming BLM for the shootings, I'm just disgusted that somebody had enough hate inside of them to ignore the mother of one of the recent victims of another savage crime.

You have a habit of insinuating a lot of nonsense just because I don't like BLM, which is understandable. Still, at no point did I want to villianize every single person in the BLM movement, but rather the overwhelming amount of negative reactions within the movement itself.

(07-08-2016, 02:24 PM)King Wrote: I mean why fucking start a debate topic if your stance is "I wasn't particularly interested in acknowledging that BLM was a righteous cause to begin with." ? What's there to debate then? Tex lives in his bubble about how a movement that stemmed from an unacceptable level of police brutality is pure evil and that's fine, but don't open it to debate if your views are that set.

WHO THE FUCK IN THIS THREAD HAS MADE ANY LEGITIMATE DEFENSES OF THE BLM MOVEMENT AS A WHOLE? All I've seen is anecdotal bullshit that doesn't sufficiently support the need for BLM. What has BLM done to help aside from spread awareness? When you weigh that against all of the negative impacts that it's had on our culture, is it really a useful/positive movement at all? Why has nobody even bothered to address this, instead preferring to jump down my throat about my stance, without bringing any actual arguments in favor of BLM to the table?

I made this thread to find some legitimate defenses of BLM. There have been none. So I've decided against changing... My... Opinion..?

Nobody, and I mean nobody has even attempted to defend BLM with anything beyond 'Look, there's still racism! Black people are still being shot by cops! So BLM MUST be necessary, right? Right?'. Christ.

Undecided
Discount Jontron
Well its OK Tex I forgive your atrocious wording.

What do you consider a legitimate defence? A black man was shot 4 times by a cop in front of a kid for following the law and declaring he had a legally owned weapon on his person and you're asking people to provide a legitimate defence as to why a movement standing against what is a commonplace abuse of power against an ethnic group still has a place today? Fucking hell.
I'm asking for a movement that does not pollute its message with hate speech, ignorance, and disrespectful protest on a regular basis.

There are constant hijackings of public events, which are far more common than they ought to be.

There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of racist tweets explicitly putting white people and the police force down using the #BlackLivesMatter tag.

There are cases of rioting, where unprovoked assault is not unheard of within the BLM community.

Hell, more recently, there was a giant 'peaceful' protest in NYC where BLM members chanted “What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now!” continuously, and you're defending this movement? EDIT: While looking further into this, it seems that the grouping who chanted this nonsense was not affiliated with the Millions March.

Once again, what good has BLM done recently, aside from raise awareness of disgusting crimes against black victims, while pretty much entirely erasing victims of all other races while they're at it?

It's like you've said, they've lost their way. Whether it's a chain effect where the members have become progressively more angry over the past couple years, or it's a matter of the movement being hijacked by a bunch of fucking idiots isn't important. I think BLM should just stop and let something else take its place, because I don't foresee a redemption or reassessment of their chaotic movement anytime soon man.
Discount Jontron