Black Lives Matter
What's you opinion on their movement? I ask because the disgusting behavior of BLM activists in Orlando and Toronto lately had been getting me extremely steamed.

Personally I think their movement is even more regressive than third wave feminism. It's kind of a literal cancer backed by a severely entitled mindset, which is ironic considering it's supposed to advocate for an underprivleged minority.
Discount Jontron
I do not share that opinion
Cool
(07-04-2016, 05:10 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: I do not share that opinion

Do you think what they did at the Orlando Vigil, Toronto Pride, and several other events is acceptable behavior?
Discount Jontron
It's a grey area. Their behavior at Pride wasn't particularly good and I feel it's indicative of a movement that's lost it's way.

The movement itself has a very legitimate core message. The intentions are good, but I think recent events highlight a need to take stock, evaluate the direction they've taken and try to get back on track. Hijacking other movements for oppressed groups is not the way to go, not when you're supposed to be fighting the same enemy.
(07-04-2016, 07:30 AM)King Wrote: It's a grey area. Their behavior at Pride wasn't particularly good and I feel it's indicative of a movement that's lost it's way.

The movement itself has a very legitimate core message. The intentions are good, but I think recent events highlight a need to take stock, evaluate the direction they've taken and try to get back on track. Hijacking other movements for oppressed groups is not the way to go, not when you're supposed to be fighting the same enemy.

It's difficult to give a movement any support when it's been tugged away from its initial theme and turned into something that seems to be more obsessed with spreading hate and advocating like children, than it is with supporting its oppressed brothers and sisters. The activist movements in the 1800's that pressed to abolish slavery and grant African Americans equal rights had a shockingly different tone than BLM does today. I never see any BLM activists going about their movement in a constructive way that unites the black and white communities. All I've seen, is the BLM movement hijacking every possible event that they can, spouting racism against white people, expressing their hatred for america, and acting like they're more important than everyone else. The worst part, is that everyone is too scared to reprimand these morons because they're black.

I'm actually curious to know if BLM Activists have done anything good in the past couple years. Ever since the tragedy at Ferguson, all BLM have done is get really loud and complain a whole lot, from what I know.
Discount Jontron
blm is pretty bad as far as political movements go. they have no organization, no concrete goals for legislation or social programs, no consistent underlying philosophy and they seem to think hijacking popular events is great press.

idk if theyre 'literal cancer' but theyre well on their way to becoming the peta of racism.
very quickly devolved into a clusterfuck of obnoxious students types who want to stage massive disruptions and link every possible thing in the world to racism, lead by professional activists whose goal is to create highly paid sinecures for themselves in academia and government. as a movement it is worthless.
my issue with blm is that they try to make issues out of non-issues sometimes, and there is an incredibly strong victim mentality that just makes it hard for me to be moved by it. it's a noble cause, but things like hijacking other movements and functions just because you have a right to be heard is not the way to go. if the opposite had happened and some other group hijacked their function(s), they would play the race card.
[Image: KyOqqFO.jpg]
All the Toronto Pride incident did was solidify their movement has a hate group:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toron...-1.3663659
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/t...e30746157/ (opinion)
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-commen...e-a-victim (opinion)

In my opinion they've gone from having a legitimate issue (blacks being targeted more than whites by police in the united states) to dissolving into a messy, with-us-or-against-us collective that's started to unwind a lot of progress racial issues have made.
(07-04-2016, 05:04 PM)Ascaris Wrote: idk if theyre 'literal cancer' but theyre well on their way to becoming the peta of racism.

Might be worse than cancer, cuz cancer doesn't discriminate AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Discount Jontron
(07-04-2016, 06:02 AM)Tex Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 05:10 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: I do not share that opinion

Do you think what they did at the Orlando Vigil, Toronto Pride, and several other events is acceptable behavior?

No, but I think calling them entitled when they have a pretty clear and legitimate cause isn't very helpful.
Cool
(07-05-2016, 07:46 PM)Slam Ander Wrote: when they have a pretty clear and legitimate cause

lol
their cause is black people being killed by police in america. so why the fuck are they interrupting some gay parade in toronto and setting out an absurd and perplexing list of "demands" related to the running of that parade? it has absolutely nothing to do with their cause. this is why the movement is worthless.
I'm kind of happy I ended up not going to pride. I might have made a jackass out of myself and assaulted one of those assholes.

Pride itself is kind of a progressively worsening event though. You have all the normal LGBT people attending to celebrate, but then you have the disgusting perverts who straight up break the law and get a free pass because 'lol pride weekend'.

The people running pride were totally cool with the BLM assholes straight up blocking the parade route, which is kind of telling. The cops who they basically banned from the parade? Not so much.
Discount Jontron
(07-05-2016, 10:00 PM)Tex Wrote: I might have made a jackass out of myself and assaulted one of those assholes.

Yes well, if you done that you'd of been worse than them.

Their movement is legitimate, their process is the problem. Pride isn't flawless, racism still exists there.
(07-06-2016, 06:16 AM)King Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 10:00 PM)Tex Wrote: I might have made a jackass out of myself and assaulted one of those assholes.

Their movement is legitimate, their process is the problem. Pride isn't flawless, racism still exists there.

Quite aware, my temper is not something I'm particularly proud of.

You're right. I'd say BLM has gone the way of feminism in about 1/80th of the timespan.
Discount Jontron
(07-06-2016, 10:42 AM)Tex Wrote:

You're right. I'd say BLM has gone the way of feminism in about 1/80th of the timespan.

I don't want to derail things but I think feminism is too broad of a family to be tarred exclusively by a section of third wavers.

In many ways I come under the term 'Feminist' but I have no love for third wavers.
(07-06-2016, 10:42 AM)Tex Wrote: I'd say BLM has gone the way of feminism in about 1/80th of the timespan.

lol wtf tex
(07-06-2016, 12:40 PM)Ascaris Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 10:42 AM)Tex Wrote: I'd say BLM has gone the way of feminism in about 1/80th of the timespan.

lol wtf tex

MAN, I JUST REALLY DON'T LIKE THE VOCAL MINORITY OF FEMINISM'S CAMPAIGN.
(07-06-2016, 10:54 AM)King Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 10:42 AM)Tex Wrote:

I don't want to derail things but I think feminism is too broad of a family to be tarred exclusively by a section of third wavers.

In many ways I come under the term 'Feminist' but I have no love for third wavers.

I've never been too fond of second wave feminism-onwards, but to be fair, my knowledge on everything prior to the third wave is as fuzzy as a fuzzy. I think that it's becoming less and less relevant in the western world as it develops, despite all the steam that it still has.

I just don't like to associate myself with labels at all, really. Discussion on feminism is probably best suited for another thread entirely though, so I'll end my input there.
Discount Jontron
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alto...?cid=sm_fb

i havent read the report at all, but i wanted everyone to discuss this anyway so i can read when i get off work. i think it's very relevant.
[Image: KyOqqFO.jpg]
Only my life matters, everyone's else is for forfeit and I couldn't give a shit less about
Just one simple step, give Khaos all your rep!
(07-07-2016, 12:35 AM)Faltzer Wrote: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alto...?cid=sm_fb

i havent read the report at all, but i wanted everyone to discuss this anyway so i can read when i get off work.  i think it's very relevant.

There are a lot of these disgusting shootings. If anyone is going to argue that this man deserved to be shot, especially when he was completely pinned and helpless against the ground, I'll spit in their faces.

I just hope BLM doesn't use this as an excuse to hate and riot. The man's mother even said that 'she's mad, but not mad enough to hurt anybody or curse the police'.

She doesn't even blame the police in general, I'm sure she blames those two men, or at least the man on the right who shot Alton twice without any rhyme or reason.
Discount Jontron
Why do people on the internet always rage about minority group activists. You may not agree with all of their actions, but do you actually hate their cause enough to direct all this anger toward them?

You don't really leave much room for discussion by having your opening line as "I ask because the disgusting behavior of BLM activists in Orlando and Toronto lately had been getting me extremely steamed." and then proceeding to rant in literally every post; and of course, somehow bring complaints about feminism into the equation even though nobody was talking about that beforehand at all.

I don't read that and then think I want to discuss this here, I read that and think "yet another angry internet dude I don't want to argue with."
(07-07-2016, 06:08 PM)chako Wrote: Why do people on the internet always rage about minority group activists. You may not agree with all of their actions, but do you actually hate their cause enough to direct all this anger toward them?

You don't really leave much room for discussion by having your opening line as "I ask because the disgusting behavior of BLM activists in Orlando and Toronto lately had been getting me extremely steamed." and then proceeding to rant in literally every post; and of course, somehow bring complaints about feminism into the equation even though nobody was talking about that beforehand at all.

I don't read that and then think I want to discuss this here, I read that and think "yet another angry internet dude I don't want to argue with."

I leave plenty of room for discussion. It's your problem if all you can see is my plainly visible frustration and get extensively butt-hurt over it for some reason or another, so much so that you immediately jump to talking down to me instead of actually creating some sort of defense for the BLM movement, or saying anything constructive at all.

You seem more concerned with how angry I am with recent events (despite the fact that you have no idea how personally I take some of the shit BLM have done,) then you are with actually having a discussion about their movement. A bit hypocritical, and presumptuous if you ask me.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there haven't been any real defenses of BLM in this thread yet. I'm happy to hear anything you have in defense of the movement's current state, go ahead and share it. If you're too afraid that somebody will jump down your throat for deviating from the norm, or that nobody will actually address your arguments seriously, then leave the debate section alone and find a safe space.
Discount Jontron
I did... and you didn't respond. Not to mention this literally just happened last night.
Cool