The Rise of the Alt Right
Thanks, done.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
I honestly think a large amount of it is projection and passing the buck as far as the online element of it goes.

Left wing society is more and more accepting of difference, yet the 'Fedora wearing, anime profile picture displaying, hentai loving nice guys' haven't benefited from it. People still look down on them. People still berate their fetishes whilst being open to others. I feel that a bulk of these people are just lonely, they found no belonging within the left, so they swayed to the right. Most Alt Righters I've come across blame literally everything from SJWs to Muslims for their own failure to integrate into society, when challenged none of them can ever, ever back up their claims.
I believe the movement has largely come as a response of the failures of recently-erected left-wing politicians. Just as Obama came on the heels of dissatisfaction towards the establishment republicans, Trump is gaining ground amidst large resentment towards the aforementioned elected liberals. Many parallels can be made between Obama and Trump, both use 'catchy' slogans and very vague statements to try to appeal to the lowest common denominator without outlining or giving specifics on how things will get done. Trump's comments on how the wall will be built come to mind. Honestly, I think many of the people who supported Obama in '08 are probably supporting Trump in '16.
(07-05-2016, 01:22 AM)Celery Wrote: I believe the movement has largely come as a response of the failures of recently-erected left-wing politicians.  Just as Obama came on the heels of dissatisfaction towards the establishment republicans, Trump is gaining ground amidst large resentment towards the aforementioned elected liberals.  Many parallels can be made between Obama and Trump, both use 'catchy' slogans and very vague statements to try to appeal to the lowest common denominator without outlining or giving specifics on how things will get done.  Trump's comments on how the wall will be built come to mind.  Honestly, I think many of the people who supported Obama in '08 are probably supporting Trump in '16.

Oh come on, Trump and Obama appealed to very different portions of the electorate. Just because they both aimed for the populist vote doesn't mean they're attracting the same crowd.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
People feel betrayed by the democrats, the 2014 election results indicate this pretty strongly. It's not too far-fetched to claim that both are aiming at a bitter and resentful electorate
plenty of those failures would have been avoided or reduced if obama wasn't clusterfucked by the republicans at every single opportunity
Well there was also that massive bailout
Cool
obama had 2 years with a democratic supermajority and lost it because he didn't do anything with it. obama never had any intention of doing anything significant, this can easily been seen in his choice of advisers from the very beginning and his handling of the aftermath of the financial crisis.
The Democratic supermajority did not last 2 years, it was barely even 6 weeks. Al Franken* didn't get sworn in until 8 months through his term, and then Ted Kennedy died a couple weeks after.