Systems of Democracy
(06-28-2016, 09:33 PM)God Wrote: i don't know if that's true.  i don't consider the current capitalist system to be especially meritocratic.  i think a pure meritocracy would be more mobile than what we have now or have had in the past.

if you compare my system to the current system for example, all social mobility takes is a high enough score on a test, whereas now it takes money and parent involvement throughout one's entire life to do well enough in formal education, to be able to afford to go to college, to be able to afford all the pointless "resume building" stuff that high paying jobs often require, etc.

But even something as simple as a test requires knowledge of formal language, connection to research and resources, and practice and training in a test envIronment
Cool
(06-28-2016, 09:37 PM)Slam Ander Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 09:33 PM)God Wrote: i don't know if that's true.  i don't consider the current capitalist system to be especially meritocratic.  i think a pure meritocracy would be more mobile than what we have now or have had in the past.

if you compare my system to the current system for example, all social mobility takes is a high enough score on a test, whereas now it takes money and parent involvement throughout one's entire life to do well enough in formal education, to be able to afford to go to college, to be able to afford all the pointless "resume building" stuff that high paying jobs often require, etc.

But even something as simple as a test requires knowledge of formal language, connection to research and resources, and practice and training in a test envIronment

still vastly easier for any given person, especially a less privileged person, to obtain than the things you need to do to get ahead in the current system.  hypothetically people would be able to take this exam and enter the service at any time in their lives.  one impediment to social mobility in the current system is that the avenue to advancement are heavily-loaded toward taking place during times in people's lives where their individual performance is more affected by their circumstances rather than their innate ability.
My ideal democratic system would probably be composed of a central, mostly democratic body of a few people to propose laws and stuff, and then a representative legislature would be the ones to approve or veto, or modify them, instead of the other way around that we currently use in the US. From my perspective, centralized government composed of a few key figures is able to formulate laws much easier than a diverse legislature is able to, but their power is kept in check by the representative legislature which they must go through
(06-28-2016, 09:43 PM)Celery Wrote: My ideal democratic system would probably be composed of a central, mostly democratic body of a few people to propose laws and stuff, and then a representative legislature would be the ones to approve or veto, or modify them, instead of the other way around that we currently use in the US.  From my perspective, centralized government composed of a few key figures is able to formulate laws much easier than a diverse legislature is able to, but their power is kept in check by the representative legislature which they must go through

Well that is what's supposed to happen in congress with the formation of all the various committees.
Cool
Yeah, but those are committees made from a very slow legislature