FORUM EXPANSION
i figured with the diversity in people and topics we have now, a little more organization is called for. so i made three new boards - entertainment, debate, and creative work - and took the liberty of moving most of the relevant topics over to the right boards.
re: forum expansion, there's not enough of us to justify splitting misc into four boards. It'll make the forum look way more inactive than it actually is. If you think this is a good idea you should wait a few weeks before implementing it, we're still at a critical age where the illusion of activity will bolster the amount of newcomers we may attract.

At the very least debate and entertainment should be restored back to misc, and art should be a board of its own, but there's not enough art posted on Cosmo to warrant an art sub forum let alone an art board.

My advice would be to move 'creative works' and make it a forum of its own. In it we can allow for writing, music, roleplaying, photography, artwork. Etc. that way we kill several birds with one stone. it will be marginalised and not taken seriously if it's a sub forum of misc.

We had an entertainment subforum on Cosmo, didn't we? I'm not against it in theory, I just think we should wait a week or two before splitting threads from misc; we want the board to provide an illusion of activity as an incentive for registration. I cannot stress how important that is. Even if we are quite active, having threads stuffed in misc makes us look even more active.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
I'm not saying this is a bad idea or that I wouldn't implement it, just that I'd wait a few weeks until doing so.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
I understand the reason for debate threads is that they get overlooked by the volume of less quality-intensive misc threads, but a debate subforum is just going to look way too inactive.
i think the boards are warranted.

entertainment is a harder case to make, but creative arts were being posted in spam which is ridiculous - it definitely needs a board because those threads arent so much 'active discussion' as they are portfolios for the members. debate threads tend to move slower and cant keep up with the pace in misc (like the us politics thread which was moved several pages back and bumped JUST NOW because i moved it) and it also makes sense to delineate that type of discussion to some degree so it wont be overwhelmed by our incessant shitposting.

entertainment i dont think is ENTIRELY necessary but i think we have enough of these types of threads that a board isnt a terrible idea.

but id like to know what everyone else thinks.
Maybe thread labels in the meantime.
[Image: KyOqqFO.jpg]
oh okay nvm
[Image: KyOqqFO.jpg]
I thinj the issue is that people will only check misc regularly, so any threads not at the most recent of their respective forums will get buried
Cool
(06-26-2016, 03:47 PM)Lord Wrote: I understand the reason for debate threads is that they get overlooked by the volume of less quality-intensive misc threads, but a debate subforum is just going to look way too inactive.

i think youre overrating the importance of making a board look active.
It's not a matter of looking more active, it's just that threads in subforums tend to get buried mich faster than in general forum

EDIT: I CAN NINJA EDIT TOO
Cool
im not sure im convinced by that argument. we had an entertainment and debate forum on cosmo. entertainment had no real problems with activity. debate wasnt ever too active but had plenty of high quality discussion, which is befitting of a debate forum.
I guess we'll see. I'll admit I don't think the forum is big enough right now for it to be an issue, but maybe something to consider for thev future
Cool
creative arts threads are going to be buried regardless, and we're likely doing them a favor by having a board dedicated to them.
i think i agree with lord, but dont mind. if the forums activity drops significantly, the boards should be merged again.
i will put this on a trial period and we will revisit this proposition in a week
for now i think it's worth keeping the new boards because having particular boards for things might inspire people to post threads in them they wouldn't have otherwise
Tim makes a good point
Cool
yes - i was thinking it but didnt say it explicitly
(06-26-2016, 04:12 PM)Ascaris Wrote: yes - i was thinking it but didnt say it explicitly

Yeah okay ascaris.
We're facing a huge crisis right now because our spam forum really isn't a spam forum. It's actually pretty cool just having two misc. actually
I've noticed that between the spam and misc. I never really saw any difference when on Cosmo or PD
The Spam Forum was initially concieved as a place to put members who were banned from the misc
Cool
yeah, I remember
Are we going to make an HBINN archive?
Cool
for good threads? eventually. i dont really see anything that qualifies so far.