Little Miss Sunshine
Some french movie I can't remember the name of

honourable mentions to
shawshank redemption
the departed
the chinese movie the departed is based on
burn after reading
And Kirby is right, The Voyage Home was and still is the best Star Trek movie
(11-20-2017, 07:15 PM)Lord Wrote: God, you should watch Zerkalo or The Mirror by Andrei Tarkovsky. Despite not liking it myself, I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it. You should also watch Marguerite de la Nuit, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on it if you can find it, a pretty obscure French film from the fifties. Wasn't too impressed with Wild Strawberries or Blade Runner but last night I downloaded a few of the films you listed above, I'll let you know my thoughts on them after I watch them.

i saw the mirror, it's visual/artistically lovely but it didn't really affect me much.

great films recently seen:

the death of mr. lazarescu - actually watched about 2/3rds of this years ago, and have been meaning to watch the whole thing, and did so recently! it's outstanding. maybe it's lost in translation but i didn't peg it as a "dark comedy" as it's marketed. there are certainly elements of the absurd and exasperation, but i didn't get any comedic affect. great sense of gradually building pathos for the main character.

marriage italian style - vittorio de sica is a master of emotion. this is a comedy-drama that pulls off both aspects perfectly while being intertwined, with a compelling story and very compelling female lead.
(06-26-2016, 05:25 AM)Lord Wrote: Anomalisa

saw this a few months ago and thought it was fantastic. still need to check out the rest of kaufman's oeuvre.
Both are polarising, but Synecdoche. New York is absolutely essential viewing.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
i liked synecdoche new york a lot when i watched it years ago.