Pokemon Thread
If I every end up playing these games, probably the owl
Actually I find it's much stronger on offense than defense. It has some really good sweepers like mega heracross, mega pincer, and volcarona. My only good defensive bugs are shuckle and foretress.
Cool
Forretress use to be pretty good, I used it all the time in gen 5, last I recall though it sucked in gen 6 however which blows.

Also, don't forget about defensive Scizor, I've used it to some effect before.

Foretress is still good for a monotype bug team because it's the best lead for spikes/stealth rock, and it learns rapid spin
Cool
I mean bug type itself.  Megahorn is probably my favorite move, but it isn't super-effective against too many things.  They even made bug type it weak to FAIRY   Huh
Scizzor is great, he's also on my team:

Ford (Forretress) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 152 HP / 4 Atk / 208 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Toxic Spikes

Chuck (Shuckle) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Split
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stone Edge

Vivian (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Jerry (Galvantula) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch

Toby (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Phillip (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off
Cool
you have two Pokemon with a Mega-stone

that seems pretty dumb

haha this is more pokemon discussion pd has had in years
(06-25-2016, 03:44 AM)Kirby Wrote: you have two Pokemon with a Mega-stone

that seems pretty dumb

yeah, scizzor was a late edition and all I had on hand was scizzorite at the time. It worked out though, turns out it's sometimes better to bring out mega-scizzor than mega-pinsir
Cool
(06-25-2016, 03:44 AM)Ascaris Wrote: haha this is more pokemon discussion pd has had in years

Just wait until the GAME comes out
I'm choosing Rowlett. And yeah, this is a lot of Pokemon discussion.

I gave up competitive play midway through Gen4 when the army denied me to go to a tournament. But I always play and traded with people.

Now I'm trying to get back into it, but damn... I'm not a fan of smogon. I pretty much say fuck their rules.
what I do like about this generation is that many Pokemon that didn't seem viable are becoming viable. I watched some guy in doubles use a Luvdisc and it was working!
(06-25-2016, 05:07 AM)leo33wii Wrote: I'm choosing Rowlett. And yeah, this is a lot of Pokemon discussion.

I gave up competitive play midway through Gen4 when the army denied me to go to a tournament. But I always play and traded with people.

Now I'm trying to get back into it, but damn... I'm not a fan of smogon. I pretty much say fuck their rules.
what I do like about this generation is that many Pokemon that didn't seem viable are becoming viable. I watched some guy in doubles use a Luvdisc and it was working!

Smogon has definitely become more and more hated as time goes on.  Their bans this generation, including Greninja, have not gone down well with a lot of people.  Including me!  And frankly, I think their guides suck
why does smogon still have a monopoly on the metagame? im surprised there isnt more competition
this is why
Cool
(06-25-2016, 05:10 AM)Ascaris Wrote: why does smogon still have a monopoly on the metagame? im surprised there isnt more competition

They actually do have competition, last I recall Pokemon online is the main competition, but they are mainly popular in other counties.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that smogon is the oldest, they have the longest stake in all of this stuff and set the rules for pretty much every generation, if you trace back their history, they were the first people working on Pokemon battle simulators in the fucking 1990s. Most people who come along look like they are just chumps. Smogon has the history, tradition, community, and the resources. The only reason Pokemon Online ever came into being was that Smogon's gen 5 simulator didn't work at first and Pokemon Online got their shit set up first.

I actually rather like smogon's banning policies, that said, some of the stuff they ban and don't ban is retarded. Greninja is banned when Kyurem-B isn't, that's fucking nonsense.

Pretty much. Although, the reality of it is, most good players don't really use Smogon for guides and stuff, so it's pretty much a resource for entry-level people. Kirby definitely knows more about that crap-heap
Why the hell is Venomoth banned?
We use it for the league, but only so that we have a standard for people entering and challenging
Cool
It's because the novelty that they were serious and had some actual authority due to hackers giving actual facts on how moves function and damage calculations.
Now they're trying to keep Pokemon to a nostalgic competitive field that can't exist (because of new Pokemon). They're trying to be relavent but can't because they don't want to change.

They're pretty much trying to limit others by glorifying teams that use stealth rock and making meta rely on stealth rock.

I've gone and battled "good" smogon players and were surprised how I beat them without using stealth rocks or worrying about toxic.
(06-25-2016, 05:16 AM)Celery Wrote: Pretty much.  Although, the reality of it is, most good players don't really use Smogon for guides and stuff, so it's pretty much a resource for entry-level people.  Kirby definitely knows more about that crap-heap

Yeah, its mainly for basic level stuff and what is popular. 

No one serious uses Smogon's suggested Chansey EV's, they are a joke. The fact is, the more you get a handle of a team, the more specialized it becomes and the more fined tuned it gets. Most teams have a 'glue' of some sorts, and I can promise you that any good team's glue looks nothing like a smogon set.

Have an issue with Garchomp? You might throw in Ice Beam on Tyranitar despite everything on the guides screaming to not to.

Ice Punch Tyranitar made second place in 2014 VGC. Tongue
I had Hidden Power Ice on my Forretress for a period because it did what I needed it to do for my team to work.

The only real gripe I have from the last two generations was Eelektross. A pure electric Pokemon with levitate? Literally no type weakness.
-.---.----..
they said the same thing about sableye, but he was pretty meh until his megaevolution
Cool
It wasn't a good Pokemon however, I literally never worried about it.