Pokemon Thread
(06-22-2016, 07:42 PM)Celery Wrote: The introduction of EVs certainly made it more prevalent.  Aeroblast being a physical attack really doesn't matter when Lugia's attack and special attack will pretty much be the same in gen II, but when they added EVs and natures, it suddenly becomes an issue since attack and special attack could have a much bigger disparity

EVs were a thing since Gen 1, they just made it impossible to max out every start like you used to.

I don't mind GF changing pokemon like Cloyster into different roles, I just wish some pokemon were less one-trick ponies like the eevolutions. Although my Toxic-using flareon has caught some people off-guard haha
Weren't the called something different?
my pixilate sylveon with calm mind and hyper voice tends to piss everyone off lol when it's super easy to counter.
[Image: KyOqqFO.jpg]
(06-22-2016, 10:54 PM)Celery Wrote: Weren't the called something different?

No one was really concerned about them because you could max out everything, the only thing you were told was to not use rare candies like crazy as "your Pokemon needs to train to get full stats."

However, back in the day IVs were called DVs.

(06-22-2016, 11:08 PM)polly Wrote: my pixilate sylveon with calm mind and hyper voice tends to piss everyone off lol when it's super easy to counter.

Fairy type is pretty good.  Its only weaknesses are steel and poison, the least used offensive types.  Its only downside is that it's super girly
sylveon is probably my favorite pokemon ever next to umbreon. back when pokemon netbattle was the craze, this used to be my team:

RSE Team Wrote:Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 212 HP / 240 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Mean Look
-Wish

Zapdos (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 124 HP / 128 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

That's just an EV spread I always wanted to try. You can put the SAtk EVs into the defenses if you want. Protects Umby from Gyarados.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide / Hidden Power [Rock]
-Roar
-Rapid Spin

Another Umby companion; protects from DDTar.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 204 HP / 80 Atk / 80 Def / 140 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Curse
-Rest

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 100 Atk / 72 Def / 124 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Hidden Power [Flying]
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
-Rest / Substitute

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Def / 116 Spd / 32 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Perish Song
-Leech Seed
-Heal Bell
-Recover

chaosbreon and zapdos >happy
I never knew you were so big into pokemon! Or maybe I did, but then I forgot. You should've joined PD way sooner
we met faltzer on aorio hoshi, which was a pokemon forum

also i dont think ive ever asked - howd you find ah?
i found AH because i know jen (memory,) since 2005 when i first joined PC. i've known her since the days when invisionfree forums were all the craze, and having vBulletin was like a gold stamp of approval for a lot of forums. she wanted her site to be another Suta Raito/Valley of Nightmares.

and i only know jen from PC because i randomly messaged her asking to be my pair lmfao.
(06-23-2016, 12:01 AM)polly Wrote: Suta Raito/Valley of Nightmares.

ah yes the famous suta raito/valley of nightmares. ah couldve only hoped to become a forum as popular as that.
jen was a CRAZY talented artist but the girl had a lot of issues
she runs her own business now i think, so she's actually doing really well. and i miss VN and SR, but it's too bad that forums for the most part have died out lol. i always enjoyed pokemon forums not only for the pokemon, but because of the interesting users it attracted.
no way what does she do
(06-23-2016, 12:15 AM)polly Wrote: it's too bad that forums for the most part have died out lol.

You can blame Facebook and MEWTWO for that!
(06-23-2016, 12:17 AM)Celery Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 12:15 AM)polly Wrote: it's too bad that forums for the most part have died out lol.

You can blame Facebook and MEWTWO for that!

is it really true that mewtwo works for facebook?
yeah
Yeah. He probably joined for the sole purpose of destroying forums so he could get rid of Pokdream!
facebook is really ridiculous

so get this - they obviously have the 'standard' tech company perks: ridiculous salaries, great health insurance, free transportation, etc. then they up the ante a bit more with multiple gourmet (free!) restaurants on campus, a state of the art recreation facility, a desert center with ice cream, froyo, and what have you, vending machines that contain basically every tech accessory that you ask for, and a whole bunch of shit like that.

but then it starts to get ridiculous. they have an arcade where people build custom games like game of thrones pinball or old revamped retro titles. theres a woodshop with trained instructors to help you make anything from a table to abstract art. theres essentially every utility you can think of on campus: haircuts, massages, laundry, the works.

but the craziest thing is that they have this building called 'life services'. my recruiter who was giving me the tour essentially said 'if you have any issue with your life whatsoever, you go up to them and they'll try to do their best to help you'. i jokingly asked 'will they help me get a girlfriend?' and dude was like 'yeah, they have actually helped people hook up with dating services'. apparently people have used this thing to move apartments, and find dogsitters, and plan freaking weddings.

fucking crazy.
those are all of the perks of working for facebook?
yes
i thought my interview went pretty well. i was pretty bummed about not getting the offer. especially after seeing all that obscene shit.
Wow, that's pretty awesome.
This was one my my favorite teams when I played gen 5

Quote:Roslin (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Def / 140 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
Adama (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
Athena (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
Tigh (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite
Chief (Forretress) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 2 Spd
- Pain Split
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Starbuck (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 28 SAtk / 148 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

I'm pretty sure I swapped out Skarmory and Scizor for a specially defensive Zapdos and choice... something Tyranitar at some point, but the exact team I had (which I actually got good enough with to vote on smogon) is lost to time it seems.

In any case, the Forretress + Blob + Slowbro + Amoongus core was bar none the best team to play with.

There should be laws against treating your employees too good
This is all getting me crazy nostalgic, but I know I shouldn't get back into competitive battling because it is kinda bad for my mental health.