Brexit opinions?
France has overtaken the UK as the fifth largest economy in the world, Jesus Christ. I suppose my grandmother will be happy about this. She adores Marine Le Pen, so that's really all that needs to be said. Thank god I have dual French/NZ citizenship.
Way to go Britain!!!

Someone fucking nuke us.
great news all around.
Quote:“The dawn is breaking on an independent United Kingdom,” said Nigel Farage, leader of the U.K. Independence Party. “Let June 23 go down in our history as our independence day.”

lol stupid imperialist britain doesnt understand what independance is
(06-24-2016, 08:15 AM)Adriana Wrote: France has overtaken the UK as the fifth largest economy in the world, Jesus Christ. I suppose my grandmother will be happy about this. She adores Marine Le Pen, so that's really all that needs to be said. Thank god I have dual French/NZ citizenship.

the current incarnation of the FN with marine and philippot in charge is very fascinating.  in a real sense they're the only viable *left wing* party in france.
Well this is getting annoying. Every idiot person in their 20s is bitching about this all over fb and in general. No one will care in a week.
[Image: m1wH6yc.gif]

(06-19-2016, 11:47 PM)Ascaris Wrote: if The Honey Bee Inn is a bee themed town then we're back to where we started.
I support them getting out of the EU. It's a failed system.

(06-19-2016, 11:47 PM)Ascaris Wrote: if The Honey Bee Inn is a bee themed town then we're back to where we started.
seeing bourgeois cosmopolitan liberals upset over this has been the best part.
Right? They never knew a Europe before the EU so GOD FORBID change happens in THEIR LIFETIME. The UK had NO benefit being part of the EU, they will remake visa and immigration laws like every other normal country and now not have to answer to some bullshit bureaucracy (Germany) for economic decisions. This is however showing the world's shift to right wing ideology that is very similar to the 1930s, so that's kind of spooky.

it's not the case that britain didn't benefit from the EU, they benefited from the trade arrangement in the sense that they will be somewhat economically worse off out of it. the EU wasn't that much of a barrier to limiting immigration -- it didn't stop the UK from limiting non-EU immigration, so basically the only problem was that it allowed high levels of immigration from poorer EU countries. it's likely that if the UK even leaves the EU, if they want access to the european market they will have to still accepted free movement of people from other EU nations.

i regard the surge of the nationalist right as a good thing, because it is largely opposed to the globalist neoliberal right -- although in mainstream UK politics, the "leaders" of the anti-EU movement (farage and johnson) are of the globalist neoliberal right variety.

overall there are likely to be no positive concrete effects from the UK leaving -- what to celebrate, if you are inclined to celebrate it, is a strike against the EU as a vehicle for globalist capitalism and a hopeful possibility of political turmoil that creates new political options that wouldn't have existed were the status quo to remain.
and of course the greatest goal of all is the damage the EU strongly enough that the euro collapses.
in fact lets go right back to the 1930s political atmosphere, violent street politics between fascists and communists. that's what i'm ready for.
Yeah screw the Euro, I want to travel cheap!

Is there a civil war going on in the UK now? We haven't heard from King since!
(06-26-2016, 04:13 AM)Celery Wrote: Is there a civil war going on in the UK now?  We haven't heard from King since!

Yeah, he added me to a revolutionary Facebook chat asking how to overturn this result and the government. I suggested terrorism.
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
Teach him the ways of the IRA
I think denying globalism is like denying goal warming - in the short term it is tempting, but you are literally denying technological and social progression
Cool
(06-26-2016, 05:14 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: I think denying globalism is like denying goal warming - in the short term it is tempting, but you are literally denying technological and social progression

This.
I need to seize the means of production
(06-26-2016, 05:14 AM)Slam Ander Wrote: I think denying globalism is like denying goal warming - in the short term it is tempting, but you are literally denying technological and social progression

the existence of instant global communication is nice.  the out-sourcing of productive jobs to developing countries to be replaced by parasitic financialization in developed countries, the subsumption of national identity in a consumerist global monoculture and the estrangement of the elites from the people as the elites come to identify more with the elites of other countries than with regular people of their own are all less so.

(06-26-2016, 08:32 AM)King Wrote: I need to seize the means of production

Interesting reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/c...t_and_the/
Quote:Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."
(06-27-2016, 04:43 AM)Lord Wrote: Interesting reading:

David, you sly dog!
(06-27-2016, 04:43 AM)Lord Wrote: Interesting reading:

i'm loathe to give an iota of political maneuvering props to cameron, but this is a very good read
But how much of the damage is already done?